Thursday, July 12, 2012

So Many Books, So Little Time

SO. I finished reading Insurgent by Veronica Roth. The Divergent series is now my favorite series. It's like the next step up from The Hunger Games. Don't get me wrong- I love The Hunger Games. I love that series with an obsession bordering on insanity. Kinda like the How to Train Your Dragon movie. (Random thought: if Hiccup existed in real life, I'd totally date him.)

Anyway, this book left me speechless. Veronica Roth obviously has a huge amount of talent. Huge. And I'm guessing she's had a lot of practice, too. Her books, or at least the ones I've read, are perfectly crafted. Every single event in the story- every single paragraph, sentence and word- is effortlessly flawless. And by flawless I don't just mean in the way of grammar and spelling. I mean that her writing has soul. Don't worry if you're a little confused by that sentence.
I'll try to explain a little better. Every single one of the characters seem like someone you could meet at Starbucks or pass by on your way to school. They never say anything corny, or anything that you roll your eyes at. You know what I'm talking about. When you're reading a book and a character says something like, "We have to go back! It's our duty to save our friend!" I don't know about you, but when I read something like that, I just have to roll my eyes. I don't think I would ever say that in real life. It's just so... cheesy.
The settings in both Insurgent and Divergent felt real, even though we don't have like them in real life. (I hope. I mean, Amity seems okay, but holy cow... The Erudite headquarters would scare me to death...) The author knows just how much description to add with the dialogue, action and thoughts.
The vocabulary fits both the story and the target audience.
The plot is fast enough that it never gets boring- there is not a single page where nothing is going on- but not so fast that you can't keep up.

All in all, this book blew me away. I cannot wait for the third book (Rumored to be titled Convergent, since we've had Divergent and Insurgent so far). The level of excellence established in the first two books will be hard to beat in the third, but I'm confident that Veronica Roth will find a way to blow our socks off once again.


EVERYONE IN THE WORLD NEEDS TO READ THIS SERIES. 

Seriously. It's that good. Yes, better than The Hunger Games. I would even say it's better than Harry Potter- or maybe HP and Divergent are of equal rank. That's the first time I have ever said that. A million thumbs up to Insurgent!

I'll add in my book review video once I have it uploaded. 


Also, here's a book review of Insurgent by CassJayTuck, a youtuber I'm subscribed to. She does really good book reviews. Definitely go check out her channel. 


No comments:

Post a Comment